First, I apologize for the late post. I was tied up with some travel and just now sat back down to update my blog.
On August 1st, I finally moved my nuc of bees into their permanent home. While I was busy with some work, my wife picked up the hive at the local dealer. Little did I know instead of picking up a complete hive, she had to pick up about 150 pieces of wood, wax, etc. Being the ever diligent wife she is, I arrived home to find a fully assembled and painted hive.
Even though I had worked with the bees without any protective clothing, my fear got the better of me for the move. I just wasn’t too certain I wanted to be moving frames full of bees into a new hive without a little bit of cloth between me and the little stingers. Problem was, I never purchased any beekeeping clothing. A look through the closet turned up a pair of long cuff shooting gloves, a bug head net out of my camping equipment, and a couple elastic bands for securing around my wrists and ankles. I also put on a pair of heavy thermal underwear under my pants and dress shirt. Too bad my wife didn’t get any full pictures of me, because I am sure I looked very stylish in this makeshift beekeeper suit. On a 95 degree day I quickly had doubts about wearing long underwear under full pants and a long sleeve shirt, but at least I didn’t get stung. 🙂
Moving the frames over was very easy, thanks in part to the books I read and the Youtube videos I watched. I made certain I found the queen, looked for new eggs, and inspected each frame. Everything appeared in order, although at this stage in my beekeeping experience I have no real idea how it was supposed to look.
The bees have been in their new home for about 2 weeks now, and when I go sit at the entrance I see a large amount of activity. We have also noticed a huge upswing in activity around the garden and the flowers near the hive. Soon I will buy the next “super” and install it.
Until then, thanks for reading!!